In both the Julian and Gregorian calendar, June comes as the sixth month of the year. There are a total of 4 months out of 12 that have 30 days and June is the second month to have thirty days. The summer solstice that occurs in the northern hemisphere is in the month of June. The summer solstice has the most daylight hours while in the southern hemisphere it occurs as the winter solstice. The winter solstice has the fewest daylight hours. December in the south is the same or equivalent as of June in the North. In the northern hemisphere, the summers begin from 1st June and winters in the southern hemisphere start from 1st June.
June 2018 Calendar
The constellation Taurus is the place where the sun rises at the start of the month of June. The constellation Gemini is the place where the sun rises at the end of the month of June. But since there are equinoxes also so the month of June begins with the sun rising from constellation Gemini and at the end of month rises from Cancer.
The ancient name of the month of June is Junius. In the poem about the Roman calendar, there are various places that have the name of Fasti given by Ovid. The Roman goddess named Juno who is the goddess of marriage and wife of Jupiter is the first reason for the name June. The second reason why the name June is given is that it is believed to have come from the Latin word iuniores which means young ones which are in opposition to the word maiores which means elder ones that may be the name given to May.
2018 June Calendar
The time between the mid months of May to mid months of June was considered not good for marriage purposes by the ancient Roman calendar. Flamanica dialis had been consulted by Ovid for her daughter’s marriage and was told to wait for a month as her marriage can be done after June 15th. Flamanica Dialis is the high priestess of Jupiter. However, there were others like Plutarch who considered that the month of June was more auspicious than the month of May for marriage.
There are various famous meteor showers that occur in June. Some of them are : –
- Arietids that occurs from 22nd May to 2nd July every year but reaches its peak on 7th
- The Beta Taurids – June 5th to July 18th.
- The June Bootids – 26th June to 2nd
There are various ancient Roman observances that come under the calendar of ancient Rome. Some of them are : –
- From May 29th to 1st June the festival of Ludi Fabarici took place.
- On June 1st the festival of Kalendae Fabariae took place.
- On June 3rd the festival of Bellona takes place.
- On 7th June the festival of Ludi Piscatorii takes place.
- From June 7th to June 15th the festival of Vestalia takes place.
- On June 20th the festival of Rosalia takes place.
- There was a game that was held after every 100 years in either the month of May or June and was known as Secular Games.
June 2018 Printable Calendar
There are various events that are held in June. Some of them are : –
- June is the month of the most sacred heart of Jesus in the Catholic tradition.
- In the United States, it is the African American Music appreciation month.
- In Canada, it is the ALS Awareness month ( ALS – amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ).
- It is also known as Caribbean American Heritage Month in the United States.
- The crop month in Barbados is celebrated starting from June to end of August.
- In the United States, it is the LGBT pride month.
- The great outdoor months are celebrated in the United States.
- In the United Kingdom, there is the national Smile month.
- National oceans month is celebrated in the United States in the month of June.
- The PTSD ( Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ) award month is celebrated in the United States in June.
June 2018 Calendar Printable
There are various Non-Gregorian observances also. Some of them are : –
- The holy month of Ramadan is celebrated from 27th May to 24th
- The holy festival of Shavuot is celebrated from 31st May to 1st
- On 8th June the Vat Purnima is celebrated.
- From 14th June to 18th June the Raja festival of Hindus is celebrated.
- On June 24th Amavasya is celebrated by the Hindus.
- On June 25th the Yath Ratra starts.
- From June 25th to June 26th Eid al Fitr is celebrated.
- On June 4th the anniversary of Khomeini’s death is held as per the Iranian calendar as given.